Crawfish Burgers with GuacamoleCourtesy of Chef David Hulin of Cajun 180 Fresh Louisiana Crawfish Burger Patty topped with Fresh Made Guacamole & Side Salad. It’s so easy, healthy & delicious!
- 1 lb Louisiana crawfish tails
- 1/3 c flour
- 1/3 c grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 fresh egg (I use Duck eggs for richness)
- 1 Tbsp La Cajun Gold seasoning
- 1/4 c chopped parsley
- 1 Tbsp Cajun Trinity seasoning
- 6 Avocados
- 3/4 cup chopped red onions
- 1 large jalapeño seeded and diced
- 1 lime squeezed
- 8 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 Tsp Cajun Trinity seasoning
DIRECTIONSFOR THE CRAWFISH BURGERS:
- Mix all ingredients together in a mixing bowl, set in the refrigerator for 1 hour to allow it to firm up.
- Once firm, make a Patty and place in a hot skillet with butter and pan sear on both sides for a few minutes.
- Pull off and allow to rest for 5 minutes. Serve hot.
- Mix all in a bowl until the desired texture and consistency of the guacamole that you like.
NUTRITIONServing size: 1 crawfish burger Servings: 4 180 Calories. 5g Fat (1g Saturated Fats, 50mg Cholesterol.) 1,160mg Sodium. 10g Carbohydrates (1g Fiber, 0g Total Sugar.) 25g Protein.
- Lower Fat: Crawfish burger recipe is lower in fat as is. Omit guacamole to reduce fats further.
- Lower Carbohydrate: Any reductions in carbohydrates would change the integrity of the recipe.
- Lower Sodium: Use salt-free Cajun seasoning to reduce sodium to 520mg.
- Dairy-free: Use vegan cheese. No significant change in macros.
- Gluten-free: Use gluten-free flour and ensure Cajun seasoning is gluten-free.
Cheesy Crawfish Nachos
- 2 lb Louisiana crawfish tails
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 stick of butter
- 1 tsp each red pepper, black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 (10.5 oz) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (10.5 oz) can cream of celery soup
- 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 (8 oz) pkg of each shredded cheeses: Cheddar, Pepper Jack, and Colby Monterey Jack
- 1-2 jalapeño peppers, sliced
- 1⁄2 c fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2 c green onions, sliced
- 1 (10-12 oz) bag of corn tortilla chips
- Heat the saucepan on medium heat and melt butter.
- Sauté onions, celery, and bell pepper for 3-5 minutes or until onions are translucent. Add garlic and seasonings, and sauté 2 minutes longer.
- Stir in the mushroom and celery soups and the tomato sauce, until well mixed.
- Simmer on low for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Fold in the crawfish tails and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Add the Pepper Jack cheese and Cheddar cheese, stirring until completely melted and heated through.
- Layer chips on an extra-large non-stick sheet pan, and top with the crawfish mixture, shredded Colby Monterey cheese blend, and sliced jalapenos.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 5 minutes or until the cheese melts.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and sliced green onions, and serve.
NUTRITIONServing Size: 2 cups Servings: 8 820 Calories. 53g Fat (26g Saturated fats, 245mg Cholesterol.) 1,450mg Sodium. 42g Carbohydrates (4g Fiber, 6g Total Sugar.) 45g Protein.
- Lower fat: 510 kcal (20g fats, 6g saturated fats, 26mg cholesterol, 42g carbohydrates, 44g protein.) Substitute 3 Tbsp for butter. Choose “Baked” tortilla chips. Substitute 1 (8 oz) package of fat-free cream cheese & 1 Tbsp red pepper flakes for Pepper Jack cheese, and blend thoroughly. Choose “Reduced-Fat” cheese for Cheddar & Colby Monterey Jack Cheese. If you choose “low fat” or “fat-free” cheeses, It likely will not melt and have the same texture of this recipe. Optional: The amount of shredded cheese can be lowered to further reduce total fats.
- Lower carbohydrate: 752 kcal (49g fats, 15.5g carbohydrates, 3g fiber, 5g sugar, 63g protein.) Substitute ¼ tsp xanthan gum and 1 cup each of sour cream and half and half in place of soups. Choose protein chips or other low-carb chips, or cucumber slices.
- Lower sodium: 784 kcal (55g fats, 744mg sodium, 38g carbohydrates, 40g protein.) Use unsalted butter. Use “No Salt Added” tomato sauce. Substitute Unsalted Cream of Mushroom & Unsalted Cream of Chicken for the soups. Substitute 1 (8 oz) package of cream cheese & 1 Tbsp red pepper flakes for the pepper jack cheese. Use “Lightly Salted” tortilla chips. Optional: The amount of shredded cheese can be lowered to further reduce the sodium.
- Dairy-free: 767 kcal (47g fats, 53g carbohydrates, 36g protein.) Substitute coconut oil for butter. Add 3 Tbsp flour. Substitute vegan sour cream and cream cheese for the soups. Use vegan cheese.
- Gluten-free: 829 kcal (56g fats, 39g carbohydrates, 45g protein.) If gluten-free cream of mushroom, and cream of celery soups are unavailable, then substitute 1 cup each of half and half and Light sour cream. Add 3 Tbsp Tapioca flour to the butter.
Fried Soft Shell CrawfishRecipe courtesy of Delcambre Market Consultant Chef John Reason. Photo credit: BayouWildTv
- 1 lb (2-doz.) Louisiana Soft Shell Crawfish
- 1 c all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp Cajun Mais Palm seasoning blend
- ½ garlic powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 2 Tbsp whole milk
- Favorite condiment dipping sauce for serving
- Preheat the fryer to 350 degrees.
- Rinse soft shell crawfish and pat dry with a paper towel.
- In a bowl, combine flour, seasonings, and salt & pepper.
- In a separate bowl whisk the egg and milk.
- In the third bowl, add breadcrumbs.
- Dredge crawfish in flour mixture, then dip in egg wash, and dredge again in flour mixture..
- Cook for a few minutes until crawfish float and are golden brown.
- Serve as a garnish on your favorite seafood dish with favorite condiments for dipping as an appetizer.
NUTRITIONServing Size: 6 soft shell crawfish Servings: 4 Calories: 455 30g Fat (2g Saturated fat, 45mg Cholesterol.) 260mg Sodium. 24g Carbohydrates (2g Fiber, 0g Total sugar.) 30g Protein.
- Lower Fat: Air-fry crawfish on 350 degrees for 8 minutes, flipping once. 330 Calories. 5g Fat (1g Saturated fat, 45mg Cholesterol.) 1,210mg Sodium. 42g Carbohydrates (2g Fiber, 3g Total sugar.) 29g Protein.
- Lower Carbohydrate: Substitute whey protein isolate powder for flour. 375 calories. 30g fat (2g saturated fat, 49mg cholesterol.) 220mg sodium. 1g carbohydrates (<1g fiber, <1g sugar.) 36g protein.
- Lower Sodium: Use salt-free Cajun seasoning such as Cajun180 La Cajun Gold “No Salt.” Omit salt. Reduces sodium 220mg.
- Dairy-free: Use nut milk. No significant change in macros.
- Gluten-free: Use gluten-free flour. No significant change in macros.
Zuppa di Pesce e GamberoSeared Grouper & Shrimp Italian Soup with Creamed Grits Recipe courtesy of Health & Wellness Program Coordinator Laurel Blackerby, MS
- 1 lb. Louisiana grouper, divided into 4 filets
- 1/2 lb. Louisiana shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tsp Trinity Seasoning blend
- 2 Tbsp avocado oil
- 1 tsp Cajun seasoning
- ½ c Diced green onion or parsley for garnish
- 3/4 c grits
- 1 c broth
- 2 c cream
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 c white wine
- 1 c cream (of choice)
- 3 c broth
- 2 c tomato sauce
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup cooked carrots
- 4 Tsp Trinity seasoning blend
- 1 Tbsp oregano
- 1 tsp ground fennel
- 1 tsp sugar
- In a saucepan, bring cream and broth to a light boil. Add grits and cook according to package directions. Add Parmesan and salt. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, saute garlic in a large pot. Deglaze with white wine.
- Add remaining ingredients and seasonings. Allow liquid to reduce by half.
- Use an emulsion blender or food processor to blend until desired consistency.
- Pat grouper filets and shrimp with a paper towel. Season with salt Trinity seasoning blend.
- Heat avocado in non-stick frying pan over medium, until oil is hot. Sear grouper filets 3-4 minutes each side until golden brown. Set aside.
- Sprinkle shrimp with Cajun seasoning and sear shrimp 1-2 min until shrimp curls and is opaque.
- Serve creamed Parmesan grits on the bottom of large soup bowls. Then, carefully, ladle 2 cups of soup mixture on top of the grits. Place grouper filet in the middle, with shrimp. Garnish with green onions or parsley and serve.
NUTRITIONServing size: 3 cups Servings: 6 Calories: 450 19g Fat (7g Saturated fat, 135mg Cholesterol.) 2070mg Sodium. 40g Carbohydrates (4g Fiber, 11g Total sugar.) 32g Protein.
- Lower Fat: Use fat-free half and half. 375 Calories. 8g Fat (4g Saturated fat, 96mg Cholesterol.) 2115mg Sodium. 45g Carbohydrates (4g Fiber, 12g Total sugar.) 31g Protein.
- Lower Carbohydrate: Substitute 3 cups of cauliflower rice for grits. Use low carb half and half alternative such as Califa Better Half, Unsweetened. 300 Calories. 12g Fat (6g Saturated fat, 90mg Cholesterol.) 2130mg Sodium. 19g Carbohydrates (4g Fiber, 7g Total sugar.) 28g Protein. The remaining carbohydrates are sourced from tomato and carrot and thus no further reductions are recommended.
- Lower Sodium: Use salt substitute and salt-free Cajun & Trinity seasonings. Use “ no salt added'' broth and tomato sauce to reduce sodium to 640mg.
- Dairy-free: Use vegan cheese and half and half such as Califa Better Half. 353 Calories. 11g Fat (5g Saturated fat, 78mg Cholesterol.) 1993mg Sodium. 37g Carbohydrates (4g Fiber, 11g Total sugar.) 26g Protein.
- Gluten-free: Ensure Cajun seasoning is gluten-free.
Bang Bang Shrimp!
- 1 lb of medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp black pepper, or to taste
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ Tbsp fresh parsley
- ¼ c of mayonnaise
- ¼ c. Thai sweet chili sauce (in the asian isle)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Juice of 1 lime
- ⅛ tsp of crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste
- ¼ Tbsp onion powder
- Sprinkle the shrimp with the paprika, garlic, and pepper. Set aside to marinate.
- In a large bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, sweet chili sauce, garlic, lime juice, red pepper flakes, and onion powder. Set aside
- In a large skillet, on medium-high heat, cook shrimp in olive oil, stirring constantly until no longer pink- about 10 minutes.
- Transfer shrimp to the bowl of sauce mixture and toss well.
- Serve over a bed of mixed greens or corn maque choux. Garnish with parsley and serve.
NUTRITIONServing size: ½ cup. Servings: 4 251 calories. 15g fat (2g saturated fat, 151mg cholesterol.) 734mg sodium. 13g carbohydrates (1g fiber, 9g sugar.) 16g protein.
- Lower Fat: Use low-fat mayonnaise. Reduce oil to 2tsp. 183 calories. 7g fat (1g saturated fat, 148mg cholesterol.) 770mg sodium. 14g carbohydrates (1g fiber, 9g sugar.) 16g protein.
- Lower Carbohydrate: Use a sugar-free sweet chili sauce such as G Hughes brand. 216 calories. 15g fat (2g saturated fat, 151mg cholesterol.) 730mg sodium. 4g carbohydrates (1g fiber, 1g sugar.) 16g protein.
- Lower Sodium: There is no added salt in this recipe. Crawfish tails may be substituted for shrimp. 264 calories. 15g fat (2g saturated fat, 6mg cholesterol.) 307mg sodium. 12 carbohydrates (1g fiber, 9g sugar.) 21g protein.
- Dairy-free: Recipe is dairy-free as is.
- Gluten-free: Recipe is gluten-free as is.
Shrimp Toast with Remoulade
Complements of Chef John Reason, Consultant Chef of Delcambre Market Health & Wellness
- 4 slices of soft white bread
- 1 lb. Louisiana shrimp
- 1 tsp. red curry paste
- 1 Tbsp. crushed C'est Tout Trinity seasoning blend
- 1/2 tsp. crushed garlic
- toasted sesame seeds, to taste
- 1/2 c. mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 Tbsp. smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. Cajun Maispalm seasoning
- 2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. horseradish
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- Preheat fryer to 350.
- In food processor, pulse shrimp, garlic, and curry paste until smooth paste forms.
- Fold in the C'est Tout into the paste.
- Lather paste onto the bread sealing the edges.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds on top of the toast.
- Slice diagonally to make 8 triangles (or cut into fourths for appetizer portion,) and fry at 350 until golden brown.
- Whisk all ingredients together in mixing bowl.
- Serve with shrimp toast in ramekin.
- Keep refrigerated when not in use.
NUTRITIONServing Size: 2 toast diagonals. Serves 4 570 Calories. 44g Fat (5g Saturated fat, 155mg Cholesterol.) 1,370mg Sodium. 21g Carbohydrates (2g Fiber, 3g Total sugar.) 19g Protein. HEALTHY SWAPS Lower Fat: Use low-fat mayonnaise, air-fry toast. 270 Calories. 9g Fat (2g Saturated fat, 154mg Cholesterol.) 1,440mg Sodium. 24g Carbohydrate (2g Fiber, 4g Sugar.) 19g Protein. Lower Carbohydrate: Use keto bread. 500 Calories. 44g Fat (5g Saturated fat, 157mg Cholesterol.) 1,347mg Sodium. 12g Carbohydrates (9g Fiber, 1g Total sugar.) 21g Protein. Lower Sodium: Use salt-free Cajun seasoning, and low-sodium bread and mayonnaise to reduce sodium to 991mg. Sodium can be reduced further by substituting crawfish. 550 Calories. 44g Fat (4g Saturated fat, 20mg Cholesterol.) 565mg Sodium. 13g Carbohydrates (3g Fiber, 3g Total sugar.) 23g Protein. Dairy-free: Recipe is dairy-free as is. Gluten-free: Ensure Cajun seasoning is gluten-free, and use gluten-free bread. 550 Calories. 45g Fat (5g Saturated fat, 155mg Cholesterol.) 1,330mg Sodium. 17g Carbohydrates (2g Fiber, 4g Total sugar.) 18g Protein. Get your shrimp here →https://louisianadirectseafoodshop.com/product-category/shrimp/