Crawfish Burgers with Guacamole Courtesy of Chef David Hulin of Cajun 180 Fresh Louisiana Crawfish
Shrimp Stuffed Bell Peppers
Shrimp Stuffed Bell Peppers
- 1 ½ lb. Louisiana shrimp, peeled & deveined
- 8 bell peppers, any color
- 2 c mushrooms, diced fine
- 1 c onion, chopped
- 1 c celery, chopped
- 1 s pimento, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ c grated pepper jack cheese
- 2 c cooked rice
- ¼ c breadcrumbs
- 1 (15-oz) can cheddar cheese soup
- 1 (15-oz) can of cream mushroom soup
- 1 stick of butter
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp Tabasco sauce
- 1 tsp salt, or to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 or grill to 400 degrees F.
- Cut the tops off the peppers. Remove and discard the stems, then finely chop the tops; set aside. Scoop out the seeds and the membrane. Place peppers cut-side up in a baking dish, cast iron skillet, or on a wire-rack, stacked closely together, ensuring they hold up-right.
- Cook onions, bell pepper, celery, and butter until tender. Add mushrooms and cook until soft.
- Add soups, garlic, parsley, green onions, pimento, and shrimp. Heat thoroughly until shrimp are cooked. Add salt and Tabasco, to taste, Stir in rice.
- Fill the peppers with mixture and top each with a drizzle of olive oil and sprinkle of cheese and bread crumbs.
- Oven: Pour a small amount of water into the bottom of the baking dish. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for another 5 minutes or so until the cheese is melted and lightly browned.
- Grill: Add Cover with foil and grill for 10-15 minutes until bell pepper is soft, uncover and grill another 3-4 more until cheese is melted and there is a nice golden crust.
Serving Size: 1 stuffed pepper. Servings: 8
490 calories. 30g fat (14g saturated fat, 305mg cholesterol.) 2,180mg sodium. 37g carbohydrates (4g fiber, 8g sugar.) 22g protein.
Lower Fat: 347 kcal (13g fats, 37g carbohydrates, 22g protein.) Omit butter. Instead saute vegetables in 2 Tbsp of olive oil. Omit the 4 Tbsp for drizzling on top. Use “Healthy Request” cheese soup and “98% fat-free” cream of mushroom soup. Use “reduced fat” pepper jack cheese.
Lower Carbohydrates: 416 kcal ( g fats, 19g carbohydrates, 22g protein.) Substitute cauliflower rice in place of regular rice. Substitute 1oz. Pork rind crumbs in place of breadcrumbs. Substitute 1 cup each half and half and cream cheese in place of soups. Reduce onions to ½ cup. 416 kcal (29g fats, 19g carbohydrates, 22g protein.)
Lower Sodium: 421 kcal. (24 g fats, 34 g carbohydrates, 20 g protein, and 739 mg sodium.) Substitute milk for cheddar cheese soup. Opt for unsalted butter, “No salt Added” cream of mushroom soup and cream of chicken soup. Use a salt substitute seasoning. 421 kcal. (24g fats, 34g carbohydrates, 20g protein, and 739mg sodium.)
Dairy-free: If dairy-free (vegan) cheese soup and cream of mushroom soup is unavailable, substitute 2 cups of almond milk and 2 Tbsp flour. Use dairy-free (vegan) shredded cheese. Substitute olive oil for butter. 406 kcal (23g fats, 37g carbohydrates, 17g protein.)
Gluten-free: 441 kcal (27 g fats, 31 g carbohydrates, 20g protein.)If gluten-free cheese soup and cream of mushroom soup is unavailable, or substitute with 8 oz package of light cream cheese and 1 ½ of milk of choice. Choose gluten-free panko crumbs or pork rind crumbs. 441 kcal (27 g fats, 31g carbohydrates, 20g protein.)